Gang of Four Return the Gift
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: V2
Half of Gang of Four‘s power was unspoken. Jon King‘s calls into the night about everyday life among the living dead were matched by guitarist Andy Gill‘s equal hits of clarity and chaos, and a thrash-funk rhythm section contradicted the horrors with a demand that everyone do The Hustle. Sadly, the power of the most lyrically and musically profound UK punk band was diminished when they later became a hipster name-drop. On Return the Gift King‘s declarations are still arresting and the rhythms still push over cars. Unfortunately, there are losses: Gill‘s riffs are dulled with distortion and sound pitifully generic, while many key touches, like the guitar tick-tocks on "Why Theory?" and the trapkit smacks on "Not Great Men," are muted. Do King‘s alarms still ring in our time? Yes. Is this record an excuse not to hear the original songs? Absolutely not.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player