Gang Gang Dance God‘s Money
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Social Registry
If Fat Albert‘s Junkyard Band were eccentric Brooklyn indies acting on the impulses of an extensive world music collection, they might make a record like God‘s Money in 2005. Recorded at Junkyard Audio Salvage-a self-explanatory playground for analogophiles in Greenpoint-GGD allegedly made use of every noise-making device they could find during the year-long recording of their second LP. The result is a worldly soundclash of the "only in New York" variety; a beautiful/ugly mishmash of tribal drums, Middle Eastern rhythms, Baltic new wave, unconfined psychedelic experimentalism, and vocalist Lizzie Bougatsos‘ sometimes beautiful, sometimes horrifically off-putting chirps. While it often seems like a magic ride to nowhere, the net result nonetheless feels earth-shatteringly profound.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player