Gary Davis Chocolate Star: The Very Best of Gary Davis
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Traffic Entertainmen
Eccentric producer Gary Davis' Chocolate Star Records would later issue bass records out of West Palm Beach but, in its early-'80s New Jersey days, the label was primarily an outlet for Davis' own P&P Records-style funkiness. A re-lick of "Gotta Get Your Love," which Davis originally wrote and produced for Clyde Alexander and Sanction, is among several songs derived from Davis' days with Peter Brown, but it's the Funkadelic-style freakout "The Professor's Here" and Chocolate Star cohort Dennis "DJ" Jones' early LinnDrum hip-hop jam "The Pop" that are the true gems of this archaeological dig.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsSimian Mobile Disco Shares Second Single from 'Whorl'
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player