Gary Davis Chocolate Star: The Very Best of Gary Davis
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Traffic Entertainmen
Eccentric producer Gary Davis' Chocolate Star Records would later issue bass records out of West Palm Beach but, in its early-'80s New Jersey days, the label was primarily an outlet for Davis' own P&P Records-style funkiness. A re-lick of "Gotta Get Your Love," which Davis originally wrote and produced for Clyde Alexander and Sanction, is among several songs derived from Davis' days with Peter Brown, but it's the Funkadelic-style freakout "The Professor's Here" and Chocolate Star cohort Dennis "DJ" Jones' early LinnDrum hip-hop jam "The Pop" that are the true gems of this archaeological dig.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player