Gary Davis Chocolate Star: The Very Best of Gary Davis
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Traffic Entertainmen
Eccentric producer Gary Davis' Chocolate Star Records would later issue bass records out of West Palm Beach but, in its early-'80s New Jersey days, the label was primarily an outlet for Davis' own P&P Records-style funkiness. A re-lick of "Gotta Get Your Love," which Davis originally wrote and produced for Clyde Alexander and Sanction, is among several songs derived from Davis' days with Peter Brown, but it's the Funkadelic-style freakout "The Professor's Here" and Chocolate Star cohort Dennis "DJ" Jones' early LinnDrum hip-hop jam "The Pop" that are the true gems of this archaeological dig.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player