Ge-Ology Ge-Ology Plays Ge-Ology
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Female Fun
A producer of soulful yet coldly chilling beats in the vein of Pete Rock and Jay Dee, Geology‘s name should pull some serious weight but, despite his history producing 2Pac‘s first recordings and aiding Black Star‘s first album, he remains relatively obscure. With his first feature LP for the instrumentally-minded Female Fun, the artist so seamlessly mixes instrumentals from his back catalog that it sounds like one long track. While he‘s one of a few contemporary hip-hop producers whose beats all sound good enough to listen to on their own, it‘s the handful of vocal tracks included here-namely the Consequence-laced party rocker "Fasho" and a remix of Pete Rock and Grand Agent‘s "This is What They Meant"-that give the LP the needed push to make it interesting.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player