- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: Simulacra
Gentoo‘s debut can be seen as the study of an infinite moment. At least one song, "A Million Coins," takes inspiration from Zen poetry, setting the album‘s meditative mood. Ethereal as Arovane, Gentoo‘s work is also of the earth. Synth tones on "Noumena" and "Quip" meander like a flute and koto, while the title track heralds a thunderstorm with electrical sparks and the buzz of frogs. "Creek" is a recollection of leaving the woods for the world, amid the claustrophobic sound of being lost inside both. Like nature‘s grandeur, Gentoo‘s sometimes heavy-handed flourishes can be overwhelming. It‘s the individual details-and the ways he describes them through sound-that are singularly beautiful.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player