- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: Simulacra
Gentoo‘s debut can be seen as the study of an infinite moment. At least one song, "A Million Coins," takes inspiration from Zen poetry, setting the album‘s meditative mood. Ethereal as Arovane, Gentoo‘s work is also of the earth. Synth tones on "Noumena" and "Quip" meander like a flute and koto, while the title track heralds a thunderstorm with electrical sparks and the buzz of frogs. "Creek" is a recollection of leaving the woods for the world, amid the claustrophobic sound of being lost inside both. Like nature‘s grandeur, Gentoo‘s sometimes heavy-handed flourishes can be overwhelming. It‘s the individual details-and the ways he describes them through sound-that are singularly beautiful.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player