Ghostland Observatory Robotique Majestique
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Trashy Moped
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Shiny capes? Check. Jerky dancing? Check. Drama upon drama? All check. Ghostland Observatory isn’t into subtlety, and the 2001-esque opener on their third album makes it clear they haven’t mellowed lately. Live, Aaron Behrens and Thomas Turner play a mix of grandiose rock and pounding electronic beats, but on this album, rock takes a definite back seat, with the layers of synths and beats piled thick. What keeps this from being yet another Daft Punk descendant, though, is Behrens’ voice. Think Freddie Mercury holding nothing back–truly, truly nothing–with maybe some Beth Ditto thrown in. All that said, the album is just an echo of their amazing live show.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player