Glenn Branca Lesson No. 1
- Words: Susanna Bolle
- Label: Acute
No one has fused the structures of classical music with the raw energy of rock as successfully as No Wave pioneer Glenn Branca. This latest in a series of excellent Branca-related reissues on Acute Records resurrects the 1980 classic Lesson No. 1. In addition to the two pieces from the original record (the chugging, minimalist title track and the sublimely brutal "Dissonance"), the reissue includes a lesser-known work called "Bad Smells." Written for choreographer Twyla Tharp, it's a slice of angular post-funk writ elephantine. Also included is a QuickTime video of a live performance of the Branca epic "Symphony No. 5," with an exultant composer conducting. Essential.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player