Glenn Branca Lesson No. 1
- Words: Susanna Bolle
- Label: Acute
No one has fused the structures of classical music with the raw energy of rock as successfully as No Wave pioneer Glenn Branca. This latest in a series of excellent Branca-related reissues on Acute Records resurrects the 1980 classic Lesson No. 1. In addition to the two pieces from the original record (the chugging, minimalist title track and the sublimely brutal "Dissonance"), the reissue includes a lesser-known work called "Bad Smells." Written for choreographer Twyla Tharp, it's a slice of angular post-funk writ elephantine. Also included is a QuickTime video of a live performance of the Branca epic "Symphony No. 5," with an exultant composer conducting. Essential.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
XLR8R Downloads Player