- Words: Lulu McAllister
- Label: c.sides
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
On his long-awaited debut album, Cologne, Germany-based DJ Glitterbug (a.k.a. Till Rohmann) passes through dark and light moods, gritty rhythmic accents, and unexpected, sheer orchestral moments influenced by friend and fellow German, Barbara Morgenstern. "Reference System" sounds like Booka Shade going head to head with a vacuum cleaner, combining warm synth tones with cool industrial buzzes, clicks, ratchets, and scratches. Atop a sustained synth, "Brontohouse" grounds itself in a rolling, hypnotic washing-machine rhythm offset by mechanized snare, Parisian accordion, and chimes that grow increasingly playful. Through pretty micro-oscillations and looped symphonic accents, "The Things I Long to Do" exposes Glitterbug’s trip through the acid-drenched ’80s party scene and ’90s techno en route to his current sound.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player