Golden Death Music Ephemera Blues
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Helmet Room
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Michael Ramey knows his way around psychedelic epics, even though his expansive Ephemera Blues is built out of songs that rarely last longer than a few minutes. The sunny strum of "Together" nevertheless feels like a good soundtrack for Roman Polanski's Repulsion, while the dual consciousness of "Morning Sun, Mourning Song" unfurls like a primordial chant. Ramey's Golden Death Music avatar has a way with media: A lengthy insert featuring compelling art from Lido Pimienta illustrating postmodern fables and folklore–"The Parable of the Discontented Gear" is a great one–fleshes out its architect's acoustic wanderings. He may have written the most peaceful composition for a song titled "Lost in Violence" in the history of music. A trip.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player