The Good, The Bad & The Queen The Good, The Bad & The Queen
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Virgin
Damon Albarn's indistinguishable projects congeal in this abstract supergroup, combining members of The Clash (Paul Simonon), Fela Kuti's ensemble (Tony Allen), The Verve (Simon Tong), and producer Danger Mouse. Albarn's studio musings have turned into a dozen-deep recording as quirky as Gorillaz and folky as Blur. In the midst of this psychedelic journey (check the Beatles riff on "Green Fields") lies the heartfelt, at times quizzical, and, given the name, sometimes political lyrics Albarn is famous for. While the guitar riffs at times prove predictable, and the bass wavering, Allen keeps the pocket tight enough to tie it all together.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player