Gresham It's Always Been There
- Words: Fitz Gitler
- Label: Function 8
At first, San Francisco's Gresham makes me think of Jamiroquai. But where the British group's singer Jason K could usually deliver soulful crooning and well-composed pop songs, Gresham's vocals lack feeling, as if he were singing in his sleep. It's an affect that works for a song or two, but by the end of the disc, we're all suffering from heavy eyelids. This well-produced acoustic rock album has some nice solos and melodies, but the result is mostly torpid melodic loops that have no destination. This is the feeling of a bar band that makes you want to leave and drink elsewhere.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player