The Grouch Show You the World
- Words: Zoneil Maharaj
- Label: Legendary Music
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Meticulously crafted, Show You the World is The Grouch’s first solo release in five years, serving food for thought over a platter of tight production. Though “Clones” deals in trite topical matter, its medley of congas, horns, strings, and keys will put a twist in your hip. The same goes for the funky “Hot Air Balloons.” Sticking to his simple-man mantra, he attacks corporate chains on “Mom and Pop Killer” and pretentious pseudo-elitists on “Artsy,” rapping, “You ain’t artsier than me/’cause you got sideburns and a vintage tee.” However, his and Murs’ post-hyphy construction “The Bay to L.A.” comes a little too late. If you thought the Legends were slipping, Show You the World will fix your screwface.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player