Gudrun Gut I Put a Record On
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Monika
Gudrun Gut has come a long way since the rage and industrial clang of Einstürzende Neubauten. The old art terrorism is gone-now the veteran Berlin post-punk artist/Ocean Club DJ lures listeners into her rabbit hole with her debut solo LP. They fall into a netherworld where the ghosts of Weimar cabaret and arcane polka drift into digital-dub space. Fragments of accordion melodies and oomph-pah rhythms brilliantly snake into "Move Me," and "Girlboogie 6" is juke-joint rockabilly that may end up in a David Lynch fever dream someday. The centerpiece, the dubby "Sweet," sleeps on a crowded subway seat, but dreams of floating on a moonless sea. The only catch is that Gut limits her vocals to a chanteuse whisper and risks repeating a cliché that sunk trip-hop a decade ago. Otherwise, I Put a Record On still steps over the timid minimalism that shackles much German techno.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player