Gui Boratto Chromophobia
- Words: Doug Morton
- Label: Kompakt
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Now that he's covered all of the Kompakt sublabels, Gui Boratto finally makes it to the mothership with his debut long-player. Blending emotive charm and microcosmic beat programming, tracks like "Terminal" and "Hera" charge the air with a refined electric sizzle while snappy, back-beaten grooves keep things moving forward. "Gate 7" and "Shebang" employ Jeff Mills-like minimalism with hypnotic loop-layering and serpentine modulation, stopping on a dime and re-engaging for a little dancefloor whiplash. "Mala Strana" and "The Verdict" round the album off nicely with some lightly seasoned ambient downtime.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player