A Guy Called Gerald Black Secret Technology
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: A Guy Called Gerald
- XLR8R Rating: 9.5/10
Thirteen years on and this album still sounds gorgeous. One of jungle's groundbreakers, A Guy Called Gerald's reputation would have been sealed with this album even if he never did another damned thing. Now he's remastered Black Secret Technology, which, happily, gives an excuse to listen to it again. The tracks here could all stand alone, but together, they comprise a masterpiece. The simultaneously soulful and sparse “Finley's Rainbow,” with vocalist Finley Quaye, was a stone classic then and will still be in 50 years; “Voodoo Rage” is shimmering and eerie. One of Gerald's greatest gifts is his ability to blend beauty and technology, to make something human and yet not human. If it's a secret, it's one he clearly knows.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsHear Dntel's Upcoming LP for Leaving/Stones Throw
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player