A Guy Called Gerald Black Secret Technology
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: A Guy Called Gerald
- XLR8R Rating: 9.5/10
Thirteen years on and this album still sounds gorgeous. One of jungle's groundbreakers, A Guy Called Gerald's reputation would have been sealed with this album even if he never did another damned thing. Now he's remastered Black Secret Technology, which, happily, gives an excuse to listen to it again. The tracks here could all stand alone, but together, they comprise a masterpiece. The simultaneously soulful and sparse “Finley's Rainbow,” with vocalist Finley Quaye, was a stone classic then and will still be in 50 years; “Voodoo Rage” is shimmering and eerie. One of Gerald's greatest gifts is his ability to blend beauty and technology, to make something human and yet not human. If it's a secret, it's one he clearly knows.
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsWatch a Short Documentary with Jeff Mills
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
XLR8R Downloads Player