A Guy Called Gerald Proto Acid: The Berlin Sessions
- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: Laboratory Instinct
There‘s no denying the importance of Gerald Simpson‘s contributions to modern electronic music (see 808 State and "Voodoo Ray"), but his last full-length was a bit of a letdown. Stylistically scattered, it signaled a slump for the prolific producer that Proto Acid handily calls bullshit on. Here are 20-plus brand-new tracks of sizzling techno recorded in one smooth session. They‘re as fresh as anything coming from Berlin, and readymade for the dancefloor. Shooting at multiple targets never guarantees a hit, but luckily this one nails it.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player