A Guy Called Gerald Proto Acid: The Berlin Sessions
- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: Laboratory Instinct
There‘s no denying the importance of Gerald Simpson‘s contributions to modern electronic music (see 808 State and "Voodoo Ray"), but his last full-length was a bit of a letdown. Stylistically scattered, it signaled a slump for the prolific producer that Proto Acid handily calls bullshit on. Here are 20-plus brand-new tracks of sizzling techno recorded in one smooth session. They‘re as fresh as anything coming from Berlin, and readymade for the dancefloor. Shooting at multiple targets never guarantees a hit, but luckily this one nails it.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player