The Hafler Trio An Utterance of the Supreme Ventriloquist
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Soleilmoon
Andrew McKenzie (The Hafler Trio) can make five minutes seem like five hours that you never want to end. As heard in his recent work with Autechre, his drones are mined from the electricity drawn from the coal of a dark, bloodied Earth-brittle and intoxicating enough to stay in the lungs. Utterance is a 1996 piece repackaged in a scripture-like booklet. The album's two tracks, "Placing the Seed" and "Seeding the Place," both drift like a capsized ship in a glacier canyon. While the long stretches of wailing feedback can grow cumbersome, McKenzie's drones still breathe deep and entice.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player