Headless Ghost Frontend
Headless Ghost is apparently Raphaël "Ripperton" Gros' "intuitive" project, which, though he offers no further explanation, suggests its tracks lean toward the rawer side of house. Gros debuted the project in 2009 with the Backend EP, and Frontend is, fittingly, its follow-up. The three tracks here do have an immediacy, but, as one might expect from such an accomplished producer, they're a bit more sure-footed than the average hardware jam-out.
"Basik Fire" opens with field noise and silky organ patterns as its frisky rhythm steadily picks up steam. Things quickly reach a boiling point with the addition of the supercharged square bassline that highlights the remainder, while icy synthesizer bursts and a breakdown using a thinner bassline provide respites. "Yeaahhh" uses a similar set of tools, its rhythm modulating in intensity amid filtered organ stabs and a squirming, twisting lead line. Finally, "SP3" offers up some old-school flavor. Its box-banging drums are treated with ghetto-house-style slides and accompanied by a simple, purposeful bassline. Dramatic string stabs trade emphases with a wobbly, unstable lead, which continuously peaks and recedes. These tracks are not particularly complex, and they contain little to no emotional pull. But on the whole, Frontend makes for a solid addition to Clone's recent agenda, which continues to focus on ramping up the muscularity of tried-and-tested motifs.
- NewsCheck Out Caribou's 'Essential Mix' for BBC Radio 1
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsStream a New Track from Om Unit's Upcoming EP for Metalheadz
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player