Helado Negro Awe One
Helado Negro is a loose confederation of musicians led by multi-instrumentalist Roberto Carlos Lange, whose name you may recognize as the latest addition to Guillermo Scott Herren's Savath & Savalas project. While Awe One certainly bares traces of Savath & Savalas' leftfield Latin-flavored beatmaking (Herren himself contributes on the record), Helado Negro is more focused, and also owes a significant stylistic debt to post-rock acts like Tortoise, particularly on jazzier songs like "Awe" and "Santero." Largely loop-based and bathed in soft reverb, this is vintage South American pop run through the filter of a modern-day bedroom producer. The decidedly relaxed vibe, sun-soaked melodies, and lyrics sung entirely en español make Awe One the perfect accompaniment for a lazy summertime siesta.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player