Helado Negro Awe One
Helado Negro is a loose confederation of musicians led by multi-instrumentalist Roberto Carlos Lange, whose name you may recognize as the latest addition to Guillermo Scott Herren's Savath & Savalas project. While Awe One certainly bares traces of Savath & Savalas' leftfield Latin-flavored beatmaking (Herren himself contributes on the record), Helado Negro is more focused, and also owes a significant stylistic debt to post-rock acts like Tortoise, particularly on jazzier songs like "Awe" and "Santero." Largely loop-based and bathed in soft reverb, this is vintage South American pop run through the filter of a modern-day bedroom producer. The decidedly relaxed vibe, sun-soaked melodies, and lyrics sung entirely en español make Awe One the perfect accompaniment for a lazy summertime siesta.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player