Heliocentrics Out There
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Stones Throw
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Heliocentrics are not back-to-basics hypocrites from the 21st century. Lead drummer Malcolm Catto and his seven comrades in funk and performance have the approval of everyone from DJ Shadow to Madlib, who employed their skills for The Outsider and Yesterday’s New Quintet respectively. And for good reason: Their collaborative fusion has created an instrumental hybrid of wonders. Equal parts jazz, electronic, funk, and more, Out There is a collision of sonic signatures and smoking jams you’d want to hear on your way to Jupiter. From the cardiac-attack chill of “Joyride” to the skewed snares of “Sirius B” and onward into the aural freak-out of “Falling to Earth,” Heliocentrics’ debut disc is space-tracking defined.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player