High Priest Born Identity
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Sound-Ink
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
High Priest, formerly of Anti-Pop Consortium and Airborn Audio, finally unleashes his solo album, running his trademark deep-voiced flows over some truly bizarre but wonderfully outsider hip-hop. Like MF Doom on LSD crossed with a digital Sun Ra, Priest's lurching beats, overdriven samples, and snake-like synths never lose the groove, ultimately making this the strangest post-APC release yet. He sounds like a tottering drunk preaching in a forgotten music store on Mars. A thing of terrible beauty by one of the decade's most amazing MCs.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- NewsAndy Stott Preps New LP for Modern Love; Hear a Track Now
XLR8R Downloads Player