High Priest Born Identity
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Sound-Ink
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
High Priest, formerly of Anti-Pop Consortium and Airborn Audio, finally unleashes his solo album, running his trademark deep-voiced flows over some truly bizarre but wonderfully outsider hip-hop. Like MF Doom on LSD crossed with a digital Sun Ra, Priest's lurching beats, overdriven samples, and snake-like synths never lose the groove, ultimately making this the strangest post-APC release yet. He sounds like a tottering drunk preaching in a forgotten music store on Mars. A thing of terrible beauty by one of the decade's most amazing MCs.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player