- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: Bubblecore
It's about structure and composition this go 'round for HiM brain trust Doug Scharin. Picking up some of the same tricks featured on 2003's Many In High Places Are Not Well, but focusing more on arresting marimba melodies than far-out polyrhythms, Scharin and company (a list of contributors would take up the rest of the issue) craft adventurous Afro-pop, cabaña suites of sweet guitars and sweeter vocals, and texture-heavy experiments in smoothed-over world jazz. Basically, it‘s the kind of brave pop album those Toronto hipsters in Broken Social Scene fail to make every couple of years; where they fall short (read: elegantly matching restraint with bombast), Scharin absolutely excels.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- NewsGroundislava Details Upcoming LP for Friends of Friends
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player