Hint Portkabin Fever
- Words: Philip Sherburne
- Label: Hombre/Ninja Tune
Sussex's Hint-a.k.a. Jonathan James-gets well pastoral on his debut album, mixing up lazy breaks with porch-appropriate guitars (including some slide action that wouldn't sound out of place on a Lambchop record) and chirpy, naïve harmonies. A bit like Four Tet, Minotaur Shock, and Bonobo, Hint proves that there's ample room for acoustic instruments in "electronic music"-even an oboe gets scratched into the mix of the chamber-music-sampling "Why the Top Ten Sucks in 2002." Had the album made it to shelves by December 31 last year, the answer to the question that song title poses might have been very different indeed.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player