Hitz Exprezz Playin Da Harsez
- Words: Tyra Bangs
- Label: Huron St. Hunt Club
On Playin Da Harsez, Toronto's po-mo dandy Hitz Exprezz simultaneously takes inspiration from DAT Politics and Chingy, from Kid606 and the Kings of Crunk. Putting Hitz's glitch version of Beyonc»'s "Crazy in Love" (called "Crazy in Plunk") aside, there are a lot worse ways for a suburban white boy to pay ironic homage to hip-hop than with poinging gabber ("Junk in the Crunk") and DIY punk cut-ups of ghetto house ("Late At Nite"). As with Chicks on Speed, I'm not entirely sure that Playin Da Harsez's harsh techno bounce is the sort of thing you want to listen to at home. But at a club, Hitz Exprezz is surely the prankster jockey to get electro boys' jodhpurs in a twist.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player