Up Hygh The Venus Album
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Jugglin
Swedish production duo Up Hygh may swing like galactic soul stirrers Sa-Ra, PPP, and the tragically departed J Dilla, but these Northern cats ain't no cheap Wal-Mart knock-offs; they're competent hip-hop heads having intimate relations with fat analog basslines. Like a ride on a potholed Brooklyn parkway after ingesting a fifth of Henny, Hygh's beats swerve, skid, and weave but never stray from their harmonic asphalt. "Get Out My Face" features singer Melo invoking Stevie Wonder as robust, layered vocals compliment funky, topsy-turvy drum patterns. Bas-1, Planet Asia, and friends fill in the gaps with energetic raps over clipped synths and handclap-saturated beats that sound like Rick James and Zapp records thrown in a concrete mixer.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player