I Am Spoonbender Buy Hidden Persuaders
- Words: Michael Byrne
- Label: Seismic Séance
Hyper-conceptualized (at least on its mascara-streaked face) electro-goth combo I Am Spoonbender's long-awaited return outdoes even their 1999 three-sided LP Teletwin. Advertised as a subliminal advertisement for itself (also available for free download), Buy Hidden Persuaders, released here as a gatefold CD, is a paranoid commentary on losing oneself in ad saturation. The music tends toward a vocal-heavy, noise-shattered shade of IAS' early "new new wave" synth-pop. In her finest half-there dramatics Robynn "Cup" Iwata sings, "We all need mirrors to know who we are now" after a layered noise break, which may or not be part of IAS' own ad campaign... Of course, we'll never know, and that's the punchline to this San Francisco group's recurring in-joke. But the real joke remains: Can IAS really "sell" listeners a free album?
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player