iCon the Mic King Mike & The Fatman
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Uprising
Former battle champ iCon the Mic King and producer Chum the Skrilla Guerilla took a sizeable risk in making a concept album relatively early in their recording careers. While they include skits and the whole nine yards, what's frustrating about the blaxploitation-inspired Mike & The Fatman is how iCon doesn't always remain in character. Instead, this MC often uses his badass, Shaft-esque alter-ego to create a slight extension of his already-animated self atop Chum's robust, cinematic beats. There's no doubt iCon's on the right path with his inventiveness-now he just has to refine it.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player