iCon the Mic King Mike & The Fatman
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Uprising
Former battle champ iCon the Mic King and producer Chum the Skrilla Guerilla took a sizeable risk in making a concept album relatively early in their recording careers. While they include skits and the whole nine yards, what's frustrating about the blaxploitation-inspired Mike & The Fatman is how iCon doesn't always remain in character. Instead, this MC often uses his badass, Shaft-esque alter-ego to create a slight extension of his already-animated self atop Chum's robust, cinematic beats. There's no doubt iCon's on the right path with his inventiveness-now he just has to refine it.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player