iCon the Mic King Mike & The Fatman
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Uprising
Former battle champ iCon the Mic King and producer Chum the Skrilla Guerilla took a sizeable risk in making a concept album relatively early in their recording careers. While they include skits and the whole nine yards, what's frustrating about the blaxploitation-inspired Mike & The Fatman is how iCon doesn't always remain in character. Instead, this MC often uses his badass, Shaft-esque alter-ego to create a slight extension of his already-animated self atop Chum's robust, cinematic beats. There's no doubt iCon's on the right path with his inventiveness-now he just has to refine it.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player