- Words: Taryn Harrington
- Label: Feral
With its largely improvised debut Landlakes, Melbourne duo ii (or eye, eye) gracefully balances on a tight rope that splits genres. Alex Nosek and Jon Tjhia create abstract instrumental pop by layering the synthetic beat of Boards of Canada with Grizzly Bear's dreamlike depth. The album is purely organic, and brings some tangible energy to an often-stagnant indie rock genre. “We Ate Everything” begins with a cluster of drum beats and drones, and quickly sorts itself out with the smooth and airy “Oho,” only to come crashing down with the surf rock-esque “Clamshell.” With Landlakes, ii begins the countdown to 2008's year's-best lists.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player