The Imps Bring Out the Imps
- Words: Walter Wasacz
- Label: Mule Electronic
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
This strange electro-acoustic enterprise features the talents of Sweden’s Minilogue, an electronic duo known for its minimal acid-trance productions, and Australian jazz musicians Ian Chaplin and Phillip Rex. The four recorded a jam session over a two-week period, mixed the live results in the studio and came up with much more than the sum of its parts. On “Almost Live But Definitely Plugged” you hear treated guitar and viola filtered through tape delays, echoes and other effects. The adventurously quirky “Bubble and Squeak” spins atop a dubby techno heartbeat, slows to a crawl then rides into inner space on the back of a digitally tweaked soprano saxophone.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player