The Imps Bring Out the Imps
- Words: Walter Wasacz
- Label: Mule Electronic
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
This strange electro-acoustic enterprise features the talents of Sweden’s Minilogue, an electronic duo known for its minimal acid-trance productions, and Australian jazz musicians Ian Chaplin and Phillip Rex. The four recorded a jam session over a two-week period, mixed the live results in the studio and came up with much more than the sum of its parts. On “Almost Live But Definitely Plugged” you hear treated guitar and viola filtered through tape delays, echoes and other effects. The adventurously quirky “Bubble and Squeak” spins atop a dubby techno heartbeat, slows to a crawl then rides into inner space on the back of a digitally tweaked soprano saxophone.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player