The Imps Bring Out the Imps
- Words: Walter Wasacz
- Label: Mule Electronic
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
This strange electro-acoustic enterprise features the talents of Sweden’s Minilogue, an electronic duo known for its minimal acid-trance productions, and Australian jazz musicians Ian Chaplin and Phillip Rex. The four recorded a jam session over a two-week period, mixed the live results in the studio and came up with much more than the sum of its parts. On “Almost Live But Definitely Plugged” you hear treated guitar and viola filtered through tape delays, echoes and other effects. The adventurously quirky “Bubble and Squeak” spins atop a dubby techno heartbeat, slows to a crawl then rides into inner space on the back of a digitally tweaked soprano saxophone.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player