Indian Jewelry We Are the Wild Beast
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Tigerbeat 6
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Before they were Indian Jewelry, the Houston-bred, L.A.-based noise-rock group performed as NTX + Electric. We Are the Wild Beast, NTX + Electric’s sole full-length (reissued as an Indian Jewelry album), is based on ideas that came to frontwoman Erika Thrasher in a dream, and were written and recorded in the band’s kitchen in 2003. The album’s lo-fi aesthetic adds a certain moodiness to its noisy No Wave feel; from the skuzzy saxes on “Walk Through Fire” to the distorted bassline on closer “Fuckface,” the instruments blend together, thanks to the record’s ramshackle production values. Trends may come and go, and many have since this record was first made back in 2003, but it still sounds fresh.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player