Indian Jewelry We Are the Wild Beast
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Tigerbeat 6
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Before they were Indian Jewelry, the Houston-bred, L.A.-based noise-rock group performed as NTX + Electric. We Are the Wild Beast, NTX + Electric’s sole full-length (reissued as an Indian Jewelry album), is based on ideas that came to frontwoman Erika Thrasher in a dream, and were written and recorded in the band’s kitchen in 2003. The album’s lo-fi aesthetic adds a certain moodiness to its noisy No Wave feel; from the skuzzy saxes on “Walk Through Fire” to the distorted bassline on closer “Fuckface,” the instruments blend together, thanks to the record’s ramshackle production values. Trends may come and go, and many have since this record was first made back in 2003, but it still sounds fresh.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player