- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Wonder Sound
Induce gives the impression that he feels more comfortable amidst notes and beats than any cruder tools of language. Cycle swells with tremendous feeling: from lonely flute notes on the syncopated jazz-drum exercise "Call" to the late ‘80s hip-hop MC valentine "Rebirth‘s Reprise" (featuring excerpts from Good Will Hunting) to "A Wave of Calm Before the Warm," where sweeping chords of electronic noise pound against 4/4 beats as inexorably as the ocean surf. As a result, Cycle is a vibrant listen, gleaming with clear moments of quiet beauty and breezing through divergent genres seamlessly. Some throwaway tracks, like "System Mechanic," make more promises than they actually deliver; it‘s a small gripe however, especially as Induce‘s emotional articulation is otherwise so enthralling. Easily one of 2005‘s more sophisticated finds.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player