Islands Arm’s Way
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Anti-
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Since his days fronting weird-pop kings Unicorns, Nick Thorburn (formerly Nicolas Diamonds) has shown a knack for unpredictable melodies and antisocial behavior. Arm’s Way, the second record from his Islands project, comes a full two years after the well-received Return to the Sea, and evolves Thorburn’s songwriting further. Louder and much fuller, the symphonic rock epics on Arm’s Way benefit from bigger production and vast ideas. Opener “The Arm” is all orchestral bliss rock, while “J’aime Vous Voir Quitter” transforms its violent first half to a Graceland-themed finish. Strengthened by more focused songwriting and heavy arrangements, Arm’s Way is arguably the most satisfying record Thorburn has created.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player