Iswhat? The Life We Choose
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Hyena
While Cincinnati may not be first place you‘d mine for avant-jazz or hip-hop, Napoleon MC and tenor saxophonist Jack Walker began to flip that script with 2004's You Figure It Out. This follow-up continues with a slew of guest musicians contributing to richly diverse performances from Walker (like his interpretation of Zeppelin's "Kashmir") and the poignant lyrical brew of Napoleon. Track by track, the momentum builds; the quick-witted poetic landscape of "Casket" and cool slide of "Ill Biz" prove strongest. Alas, the constant switching between live performance and studio techniques is the album's only hindrance.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player