Ivan Smagghe Live at Robert Johnson Volume 3
As a former member of the genre-bending Black Strobe, Ivan Smagghe's contribution to the popular Robert Johnson mix series suitably features an eclectic selection of different dance music styles, from the hypnotic minimal sexiness of the Wighnomy Brothers to the campy disco revival of In Flagranti. While employing this sort of catholic selecting technique is laudable, the individual tracks here have such personality that the overall feel is one of scattered incohesiveness. It's not that the tracks aren't mixed well—they're mixed expertly, in fact—but all of the pieces are so big and different that they cancel each other out. Smagghe is an excellent DJ, but this mix is not his best work.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- MP3Son of Sun "Feel Like I Feel (John Daly Remix)"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player