Ivan Smaghe How to Kill the DJ Part One
- Words: Tamara Palmer
- Label: Tigersushi
Paris club Le Pulp hosts Kill the DJ nights on the first Thursday of each month, and if this CD (arranged/mixed by DJ Ivan Smagghe) is a true indication of their musical policy, it sounds like a lot of fun. When the opening fun house cut, Roger's tributary "Helsinki Blondes" segues so naturally with Captain Comatose's Afrobeat-channeling "Wonderkidd," there's an immediate sense that this isn't your average club-branded compilation, but one with a wide-ranging musical ear. A Kill the DJ edit of Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" and a wicked electro-funk remix of Ministry's "I Wanted To Tell Her" help fuel the slightly dark and industrial edge that lurks beneath the grooves. This collection could quite easily be the next victim of your repeat button.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player