J Dilla The Shining
- Words: Ken Taylor
- Label: BBE
The wait is over for the sadly departed J Dilla's proper follow-up to Welcome to Detroit, but at first, it sounds like it might not be worth it. If you can see past the abominable opener, "Geek Down," on which Busta Rhymes spits some high-school-style bravado over a weakish, kazoo-driven beat, then you'll do alright; the lameness is quickly tempered by a particularly strong "E=MC," with Common on the mic and quirky Jack Nicholson samples bringing up the rear. This Shining may not quite rival the brilliant beat tape Donuts, but it still manages to hold its own.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player