J Dilla The Shining
- Words: Ken Taylor
- Label: BBE
The wait is over for the sadly departed J Dilla's proper follow-up to Welcome to Detroit, but at first, it sounds like it might not be worth it. If you can see past the abominable opener, "Geek Down," on which Busta Rhymes spits some high-school-style bravado over a weakish, kazoo-driven beat, then you'll do alright; the lameness is quickly tempered by a particularly strong "E=MC," with Common on the mic and quirky Jack Nicholson samples bringing up the rear. This Shining may not quite rival the brilliant beat tape Donuts, but it still manages to hold its own.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player