J-Live The Hear After
- Words: James Mayo
- Label: Penalty-Rykodisc
Although this ex-English teacher and recent Philly transplant may live in a different state, his aesthetics still come from the same New York mind state that produced classic lessons like "Braggin‘ Writes." Updating old school values for a new school of listeners, the Big Apple native hits heads up on "The Sidewalks" with a clever G-Funk-era synth riff. And anyone who has taught school in the inner city will appreciate "Brooklyn Public Pt 1," when J raps: "One class. 31 students. 32 chairs. 25 desks. I guess they gotta share." A solid effort, J-Live stays atop the indie honor roll.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player