J-Live The Hear After
- Words: James Mayo
- Label: Penalty-Rykodisc
Although this ex-English teacher and recent Philly transplant may live in a different state, his aesthetics still come from the same New York mind state that produced classic lessons like "Braggin‘ Writes." Updating old school values for a new school of listeners, the Big Apple native hits heads up on "The Sidewalks" with a clever G-Funk-era synth riff. And anyone who has taught school in the inner city will appreciate "Brooklyn Public Pt 1," when J raps: "One class. 31 students. 32 chairs. 25 desks. I guess they gotta share." A solid effort, J-Live stays atop the indie honor roll.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player