J-Live Then What Happened?
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: BBE
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Call J-Live stubborn, but this NYC native isn’t one to conform to hip-hop’s movements of the moment. Aside from an awkwardly attempted club track (“The Zone”), the MC/DJ/producer’s new album sticks to his longtime true-school spirit. And his persistence amounts to mostly palatable results. The xylophone-tinged “It Don’t Stop” is a prime example of how J’s love of hip-hop culture over wealth has only grown stronger via lines like, “Even as an amateur/I shall proceed to add to the cipher/Drop a trail of jewels/That lead to a time where conscious is cool.” It doesn’t matter if he’s rapping about perseverance or getting personal about his broken marriage–J-Live remains a voice that deserves to be heard.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player