Jackmate The Prodigal Son
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Resopal Schallware
It's always gratifying to hear non-US producers devoting themselves to keeping Chicago house alive. The debut album from Germany's Michel "Jackmate" Baumann applies the jackin' sensibilities of deep house to tech- and micro-musical hybrids, fashioning tracks that stay true to the unmistakably emotional flow that so electrified Chi-town's seminal sound. On "Manray," Bauman cuts his 4/4 beats with sweeping trance melodies reminiscent of leading mid-'90s Euro labels like FNAC, while "Chicago Toronto" leans easily into classic house grooves, touched with the purr of male vocals. A stirring rework of clubland's finest dancefloor hours.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player