Jackmate The Prodigal Son
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Resopal Schallware
It's always gratifying to hear non-US producers devoting themselves to keeping Chicago house alive. The debut album from Germany's Michel "Jackmate" Baumann applies the jackin' sensibilities of deep house to tech- and micro-musical hybrids, fashioning tracks that stay true to the unmistakably emotional flow that so electrified Chi-town's seminal sound. On "Manray," Bauman cuts his 4/4 beats with sweeping trance melodies reminiscent of leading mid-'90s Euro labels like FNAC, while "Chicago Toronto" leans easily into classic house grooves, touched with the purr of male vocals. A stirring rework of clubland's finest dancefloor hours.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsHear Seven Davis Jr Remix Martyn
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
XLR8R Downloads Player