Jackmate The Prodigal Son
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Resopal Schallware
It's always gratifying to hear non-US producers devoting themselves to keeping Chicago house alive. The debut album from Germany's Michel "Jackmate" Baumann applies the jackin' sensibilities of deep house to tech- and micro-musical hybrids, fashioning tracks that stay true to the unmistakably emotional flow that so electrified Chi-town's seminal sound. On "Manray," Bauman cuts his 4/4 beats with sweeping trance melodies reminiscent of leading mid-'90s Euro labels like FNAC, while "Chicago Toronto" leans easily into classic house grooves, touched with the purr of male vocals. A stirring rework of clubland's finest dancefloor hours.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player