Jackmate The Prodigal Son
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Resopal Schallware
It's always gratifying to hear non-US producers devoting themselves to keeping Chicago house alive. The debut album from Germany's Michel "Jackmate" Baumann applies the jackin' sensibilities of deep house to tech- and micro-musical hybrids, fashioning tracks that stay true to the unmistakably emotional flow that so electrified Chi-town's seminal sound. On "Manray," Bauman cuts his 4/4 beats with sweeping trance melodies reminiscent of leading mid-'90s Euro labels like FNAC, while "Chicago Toronto" leans easily into classic house grooves, touched with the purr of male vocals. A stirring rework of clubland's finest dancefloor hours.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player