James Murphy & Pat Mahoney Fabriclive 36: James Murphy & Pat Mahoney
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Fabric
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
The New Garage revival’s signs were everywhere: Environ Records’ Unclassics series of Italo-disco and Metro Area’s DJ sets; the rise of interest in Larry Levan and proto-electro, Mudd Club, and Paradise Garage. Add to that mixture what seems to be a new love for London’s jazz-funk scene and its descendants, and you’ve got the new face of James Murphy and Pat Mahoney, DFA Records biz men and the latest Fabriclive perps. Baby Oliver and LCD are obvious choices, but when did GQ and Was (Not Was) become hip for the dance-punk set? No complaints here: If this is the now sound of New York’s retro-hipsters, maybe it’s time to load some cash onto the old MetroCard.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player