James Murphy & Pat Mahoney Fabriclive 36: James Murphy & Pat Mahoney
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Fabric
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
The New Garage revival’s signs were everywhere: Environ Records’ Unclassics series of Italo-disco and Metro Area’s DJ sets; the rise of interest in Larry Levan and proto-electro, Mudd Club, and Paradise Garage. Add to that mixture what seems to be a new love for London’s jazz-funk scene and its descendants, and you’ve got the new face of James Murphy and Pat Mahoney, DFA Records biz men and the latest Fabriclive perps. Baby Oliver and LCD are obvious choices, but when did GQ and Was (Not Was) become hip for the dance-punk set? No complaints here: If this is the now sound of New York’s retro-hipsters, maybe it’s time to load some cash onto the old MetroCard.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
XLR8R Downloads Player