James Pants Welcome
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Stones Throw
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Spokane-based beat-nerd James Pants first met Stones Throw boss Peanut Butter Wolf in 2001, but it’s taken until now to finally compile Welcome, his debut long-player. From the bedroom production to the thrift-store synths and genre-hopping between ’80s hip-hop, soul, and post-punk, Welcome is a brilliant, though scatterbrained work. “Theme From Paris” blows the record wide open with some sprawling synths and splashy cymbals that are followed by the uptight funk of “Dragonslayer.” As the record continues, it passes through its share of vocoders, party-starting anthems, and Moog jazz. Clearly comfortable with any genre, James Pants is a welcome addition to Stones Throw’s gang of oddballs.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player