Jasper TX In a Cool Monsoon
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Pumpkin Seeds in the Sand
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
With In a Cool Monsoon, Dag “Jasper TX” Rosenqvist tosses water on his listeners before tucking them back into bed. On opener “Still a Tiny Light,” pastoral guitar melodies slither between blasts of frying static, causing one to flinch whenever a peaceful chord rings. Sadly, the rest of Monsoon is too safe. Rosenqvist’s minimalist palette of listless guitar and accordion notes takes too long to finish its melodies, leaving the mind to wander and grow bored. There are few nice touches, like a peculiar moment where a microphone seemingly travels in a walking man’s pocket on “I Will Be Birds When I Die,” but avoid playing Monsoon half asleep on a freeway at midnight (like I foolishly did).
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player