Jean Grae Jeanius
- Words: Andy Hermann
- Label: Blacksmith
Jean Grae’s underground credentials are as rock-solid as they come, and not just because she releases new material less frequently than some rappers who have supposedly retired. Jeanius, her heavily anticipated (and bootlegged) collaboration with producer 9th Wonder, arrives after years of delays and setbacks, and while it would be nice to hail it as an underdog masterpiece, it’s really just quality backpacker hip-hop. Grae’s flow is impeccable, and on those rare moments when she sounds like she’s having fun, her charisma shines through. But 9th’s Little Brother and Justus League cohorts upstage her on grittier numbers like “Smashmouth” and “American Pimp,” the album’s highlights. Grae’s moment will come, but this isn’t it.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player