Jeff Mills Blue Potential
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Uncivilized World
The usual tympanum-ripping, lightning-speed mix from The Wizard (a.k.a. Jeff Mills) this is not. Blue Potential, a live recording of the Detroit legend‘s in-concert collaboration with the National Orchestra of Montpellier, is the latest in a line of recently fashionable classical treatments of popular music. But where London Sinfonietta's work with Aphex Twin last year seemed a simple grafting of high-concept art projects, the mix on Blue Potential is more fluid and natural. Mills' eerie, epic brand of Detroit techno lends itself easily to the sweeping scope of orchestral arrangement. Classic cuts like "The Bells," played large via the apocalyptic bombast of the NMO's horn section, are joyously transformative."
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player