Jeff Mills Blue Potential
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Uncivilized World
The usual tympanum-ripping, lightning-speed mix from The Wizard (a.k.a. Jeff Mills) this is not. Blue Potential, a live recording of the Detroit legend‘s in-concert collaboration with the National Orchestra of Montpellier, is the latest in a line of recently fashionable classical treatments of popular music. But where London Sinfonietta's work with Aphex Twin last year seemed a simple grafting of high-concept art projects, the mix on Blue Potential is more fluid and natural. Mills' eerie, epic brand of Detroit techno lends itself easily to the sweeping scope of orchestral arrangement. Classic cuts like "The Bells," played large via the apocalyptic bombast of the NMO's horn section, are joyously transformative."
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsWatch a Short Documentary with Jeff Mills
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
XLR8R Downloads Player