Jeff Mills Blue Potential
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Uncivilized World
The usual tympanum-ripping, lightning-speed mix from The Wizard (a.k.a. Jeff Mills) this is not. Blue Potential, a live recording of the Detroit legend‘s in-concert collaboration with the National Orchestra of Montpellier, is the latest in a line of recently fashionable classical treatments of popular music. But where London Sinfonietta's work with Aphex Twin last year seemed a simple grafting of high-concept art projects, the mix on Blue Potential is more fluid and natural. Mills' eerie, epic brand of Detroit techno lends itself easily to the sweeping scope of orchestral arrangement. Classic cuts like "The Bells," played large via the apocalyptic bombast of the NMO's horn section, are joyously transformative."
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player