Jeremy Ellis Lotus Blooms
- Words: June Joseph
- Label: Ubiquity
For his second opus, Lotus Bloom, singer/songwriter Jeremy Ellis mines a number of disparate genres to hone his sound-an amalgamation of nu-jazz, nu-soul, and Latin vibes as well as drawing on a raw musical sensibility derived from growing up in Detroit. The album possesses a songwriting virtuosity that‘s lacking in many mainstream soul albums; Ellis takes numerous creative risks, but is careful not to alienate the listener. As a result, Lotus Blooms isn‘t the self-indulgent music fest you‘d expect from the title. Instead, Ellis has released an album that is engaging, giving us some meat to sink our teeth into.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player