Jesu Why Are We Not Perfect
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Hydra Head
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Jesu explores the rare moments where industrial metal meets art-house pop–where crushing sonics bleed out over warm, gooey melody. Justin Broadrick, the band’s leader, has become increasingly prolific this year, releasing a steady clip of solo and split EPs since last year’s dazzling long-player, Conqueror. For this EP, Broadrick largely abandons his big, obsessively toned guitars for heady washes of flanging synths, fuzz bass, and his narcotic tenor. Why Are We Not Perfect, in other words, is all about the gooey melody–a development that doesn’t particularly suit a U.K. band whose vocals and simple-minded lyrics have never been its strong suit. Still, when Jesu goes instrumental, as they do on “Blind and Faithless,” shoegaze rarely sounds this heavy, or this blissful.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player