Jesu Why Are We Not Perfect
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Hydra Head
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Jesu explores the rare moments where industrial metal meets art-house pop–where crushing sonics bleed out over warm, gooey melody. Justin Broadrick, the band’s leader, has become increasingly prolific this year, releasing a steady clip of solo and split EPs since last year’s dazzling long-player, Conqueror. For this EP, Broadrick largely abandons his big, obsessively toned guitars for heady washes of flanging synths, fuzz bass, and his narcotic tenor. Why Are We Not Perfect, in other words, is all about the gooey melody–a development that doesn’t particularly suit a U.K. band whose vocals and simple-minded lyrics have never been its strong suit. Still, when Jesu goes instrumental, as they do on “Blind and Faithless,” shoegaze rarely sounds this heavy, or this blissful.
- MP3James Welsh "Novelty Island"
- MP3Pedro 123 "Coolant VIP"
- FeatureStrictly Ballroom: After decades in the shadow of vogue dancing and culture, ballroom beats come to the fore.
- FeatureHi-Five - MK Shares Five of His Favorite '90s House Tracks… That He Didn't Make Himself
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
XLR8R Downloads Player