Jimi Tenor & Kabu Kabu Joystone
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Ubiquity
Finnish keyboardist Jimi Tenor continues to drift further away from his Joss House Recordings roots with Joystone, his surprising debut for Ubiquity. On Joystone, Tenor and Kabu Kabu (a West African trio led by Fela Kuti acolyte Nicholas Addo Nettey) find a loved-up medium between Scandinavian and African sonic sensibilities. Over these 12 tracks, buoyant, undulating Afrobeat rhythms converge with Tenor's suave loungetronica, and then get embellished with some CTI-like fusionoid brass and woodwinds from skilled Finnish and English jazz players. Tenor & Kabu Kabu's unlikely conflation of tropical and cool aesthetics results in a distinctive party-centric disc that could be equally effective at a United Nations soirée or a swinging bachelor-pad seduction scene.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player