Jimmy Edgar Bounce, Make, Model
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Warp
What will be the butcher's bill of metrosexualized hip-hop after all the credit card and child-support debts are tallied up? Jimmy Edgar embodies that genre with pedicured and indoor-tanned style over substance. His excursions as Kristuit Salu and Morris Nightingale brilliantly explored microwave-damaged glitch-hop, but Bounce is just too safe. Edgar takes Playboy Channel groove-jazz and stutters each melody and beat to create an autistic bump 'n' grind. The results have a glaring coolness with cologne-ad synths and harmonies that fetishize unisex bodysuits. This music verges on clichÈ, but it's faboulous what a dab of mousse and facial cream can hide.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsStream "Fifty Fathoms" from Marquis Hawkes' Upcoming EP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player