Jimmy Edgar Bounce, Make, Model
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Warp
What will be the butcher's bill of metrosexualized hip-hop after all the credit card and child-support debts are tallied up? Jimmy Edgar embodies that genre with pedicured and indoor-tanned style over substance. His excursions as Kristuit Salu and Morris Nightingale brilliantly explored microwave-damaged glitch-hop, but Bounce is just too safe. Edgar takes Playboy Channel groove-jazz and stutters each melody and beat to create an autistic bump 'n' grind. The results have a glaring coolness with cologne-ad synths and harmonies that fetishize unisex bodysuits. This music verges on clichÈ, but it's faboulous what a dab of mousse and facial cream can hide.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player