Johann Johannsson Dis
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Workers Institute
Specializing in shimmering electronic music, Johnann Johannsson strikes a vein that‘s already been mined by many musicians, Icelandic or otherwise (slow, moody piano playing, anyone?). But Dis, the soundtrack to a film by Icelandic author Silja Hauksdottir, exemplifies Johannsson‘s compositional chops, subtly repeating motifs and themes with sounds that slope as gradually as snowdrifts. Peppy and grandiose like Vanilla Sky‘s saccharine score, the album would do wonders as a companion to stunning cinematography. The snappy rock theme "Efripides Og Nedripides" is a high moment, full of crisscrossing electronics and a strummed guitar. But as a stand-alone CD, Dis is little too plodding and precious.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player