Johann Johannsson Dis
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Workers Institute
Specializing in shimmering electronic music, Johnann Johannsson strikes a vein that‘s already been mined by many musicians, Icelandic or otherwise (slow, moody piano playing, anyone?). But Dis, the soundtrack to a film by Icelandic author Silja Hauksdottir, exemplifies Johannsson‘s compositional chops, subtly repeating motifs and themes with sounds that slope as gradually as snowdrifts. Peppy and grandiose like Vanilla Sky‘s saccharine score, the album would do wonders as a companion to stunning cinematography. The snappy rock theme "Efripides Og Nedripides" is a high moment, full of crisscrossing electronics and a strummed guitar. But as a stand-alone CD, Dis is little too plodding and precious.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
XLR8R Downloads Player