Johann Johannsson Dis
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Workers Institute
Specializing in shimmering electronic music, Johnann Johannsson strikes a vein that‘s already been mined by many musicians, Icelandic or otherwise (slow, moody piano playing, anyone?). But Dis, the soundtrack to a film by Icelandic author Silja Hauksdottir, exemplifies Johannsson‘s compositional chops, subtly repeating motifs and themes with sounds that slope as gradually as snowdrifts. Peppy and grandiose like Vanilla Sky‘s saccharine score, the album would do wonders as a companion to stunning cinematography. The snappy rock theme "Efripides Og Nedripides" is a high moment, full of crisscrossing electronics and a strummed guitar. But as a stand-alone CD, Dis is little too plodding and precious.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player