Johannes Heil Freaks R Us
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Klang Elektronik
When it comes to techno knowledge and execution, German producer Johannes Heil is a man with a towering IQ. Or maybe that should be Eye Q, having collaborated with Eye Q label owner Sven Väth. Heil's aesthetic from his work with producers like Väth and DJ Hell (and his tracks on Harthouse, a label known for meticulously orchestrated prog-tech) is obvious on Freaks R Us, a survey of styles. Braided and abraded bass burrows throughout-such as on "Warrior of Light" and the latter half of the title track-drawing parallels to both Tiefschwarz/Black Strobe and Dave Clarke/Robert Armani. "Rescue Me" and "Tree of Life," especially, feature unsettled narratives, the likes of which will leave Green Velvet fans quivering. Whether the drums are straitjacketed or jacking, the cleanly edited momentum is unforgiving. Undoubtedly, there‘s something for everyone to enjoy on Freaks R Us, whether you're into Laibach or LFO, Detroit or Chicago, micro-goth or Minus.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player